By A Newsman
Kolkata, 28 August: THREE persons died of electrocution and seven were critically injured during a Ganesh idol immersion at Baje Kadamtala Ghat in the city post Sunday midnight.
Police said that the accident occurred around 1 am when a procession to immerse Ganesh idol was crossing over the Eden Garden rail station that stands on the banks of Hooghly river on the way to Baje Kadamtala Ghat.
The Ganesh idol came in contact with the overhead electric wire that feed power to the trains and ended up snapping it. This resulted in the idol catching fire and 10 of those in the processing coming in contact with the live electric wire.
One person died on the spot, nine were badly injured due to the electrocution. Two among the injured were critical and they died on being taken to the SSKM Hospital. The remaining seven were admitted to Calcutta Medical College and Hospital.
The first deceased was later identified to be an organiser of the Ganesh Puja committee from central Kolkata; the other two were wage labourers assigned the task of lugging the idol to Baje Kadamtala Ghat.
Peeved at the tragedy, others present in the procession started demonstrating near the accident site by placing the dead body.
They were angry because there were hardly any policemen deployed at the Ghat, which is used for idol immersion. This led to the loss of some valuable time in fetching ambulance and rushing the injured for treatment, they said.
Senior police officers reached the site in the night itself and pacified the agitators. Kolkata Police have ordered a probe to find out whether the puja organisers had taken prior permission to immerse the idol so late into the night and if so, why the local police station did not deploy force at the spot.