A+ A-

Kolkata: One of the top three at the national level and West Bengal’s state badminton champion, Trinakur Nag (25), has died of electrocution.

Nag breathed his last at Eastern Railway’s BR Singh Hospital at Sealdah in Kolkata today morning after battling for life for two days.

The young sportsman was a resident of Nager Bazar in north Kolkata. He was recruited by Eastern Railway five years ago in the sports quota. Since Nag had studied only up to class-X, railways posted him in a 4th-grade job in the electrical department.

The badminton champion was upset with this and more so because he was deprived of the respect as a sportsman from his colleagues and seniors at the Narkeldanga car-shed which was his workplace.

Family sources said that at one point Nag got so depressed that he did not attend office for a month-and-a-half. But his family and friends persuaded him to go to the office again.

On Saturday (24 November), Nag suffered a 24,000-volt electric shock while working on the overhead power apparatus of a rake at Narkeldanga car-shed. He was rushed to BR Singh Hospital in a critical condition.

There, the promising badminton player breathed his last at 9.30 this morning. With his death, fingers are being pointed at Eastern Railway authorities for pressing a sportsman into such a high-risk task.

Eastern Railway chief spokesperson, RN Mahapatra, informed that a departmental probe has been initiated into the incident.

Comments