A+ A-

Kolkata: West Bengal Cabinet has given its nod for setting up a riverine port that was hanging fire for over a decade.

The port will come up at Kulpi in South 24-Parganas district in private-public partnership (PPP) with an estimated investment of Rs 3,000-crore. The site is located at a distance of 62-km from state capital Kolkata.

“Kulpi Port project was pending for the last 10 years. Dubai based DP World had expressed interest to develop a container port there and the Cabinet has today approved the proposal,” state industry minister Amit Mitra told reporters at Nabanna after a Cabinet meeting.

The minister said that there is no need to acquire additional land for the port and that the land already with the state government will be utilised.

“The port project will generate at least 10,000 jobs comprising both direct and indirect employment. This will be a major gain for our youths,” Mitra said.

DP World will have 74 per cent stake in Kulpi Port. West Bengal government will own the remaining 26 per cent.

The minister said that while the initial investment is estimated at Rs 3,000-crore, it may go up to Rs 4,500-crore as ancillary units join the Kulpi Port system.

In an unrelated development, the state government today announced allotting shops at the Bolpur Biswa Bazar in Birbhum district to 23 handicraft traders who deal in crafted jewelry and terracotta items.

Comments