A+ A-

Diamond Harbour: A teenage boy has ended his life at Baruipur in South 24-Parganas district by live telecasting the suicide to his girlfriend on a WhatsApp video call.

This comes exactly a month since a girl had hanged herself at Sonarpur on the southern fringes of Kolkata while making a video call to her boyfriend via Facebook. Police had arrested the boyfriend on that occasion.

The latest case has happened at Salehpur locality of Baruipur around midnight yesterday. The deceased boy has been identified as Suraj Roy (17), a class XI student of Padmapukur Madhya Vidyalaya.

With his father expiring a few years ago, he used to live with his mother. She maintained the family by working as an aaya (private nursing assistant) and by renting out a room on the ground floor of the house. Suraj lived in another room on the ground floor.

A few months ago, the boy developed an affair with a girl from Sonarpur, who studies in class VIII at Kamrabad High School. They used to call and chat over Facebook and WhatsApp almost every night.

Last night too, the two were on a phone call that an argument broke out between them over some issue. Angry over this, Suraj disconnected the phone abruptly only to make a WhatsApp video call a little later.

This time he was preparing to hang himself with a scarf from the ceiling fan in his bedroom. According to his girlfriend, she pleaded with him not to do anything like that but he was adamant. The girl then disconnected the call and alerted Suraj’s friends at once.

The friends rushed to Suraj’s house, alerted his mother, and then broke open the door to find him hanging. He was at once rushed to Baruipur Sub-divisional Hospital, where a doctor declared him dead on arrival.

The bereaved mother has lodged an FIR against the girl accusing her of abetting the suicide of her son. Police, however, have said that since the girl had taken initiative to save the boy by making calls to his friends, she prima facie doesn’t appear to be at fault.