A+ A-

Featured Image: A poster of the 1964 movie Murder Most Foul based on Agatha Christie’s novel Mrs McGinty’s Dead that has a story-line different from the Corpse Trolley Case.   

By A Newsman

Asansol, 17 September: POLICE have stumbled upon a new twist in the sensational Seoraphuli Corpse Trolley murder of a woman and her daughter in late August.

They have come to know that murdered Sucheta Charkraborty (32) had undergone an abortion in November 2014 and the bank manager Samaresh Sarkar (47), who is under arrest for her murder, had posed as her husband before the doctor.

Sucheta was estranged from her husband since 2011 and used to stay with her five-year old daughter Deepanjana at her parental house at Bidhannagar Housing in Durgapur. She had developed an affair with Samaresh, who worked as a manager at the Central Bank of India Mamrabazar branch in the town, where she used to have an account and a locker.

Dr Pratima Acharya, a gynaecologist at the government owned ESIC Hospital in Durgapur, on Wednesday told the investigating team from Serampore police station in Hooghly that Sucheta had come to the hospital along with Samaresh.

“They had introduced each other as husband and wife. I performed the abortion as the couple said that they were not willing to have the baby,” a police officer quoted the doctor as saying. The doctor identified Samaresh and Sucheta after the police showed her their photographs.

The investigators had earlier found a prescription of Sucheta from her locker at the Central Bank branch.

On Wednesday, they reopened her sealed apartment at Bidhannagar Housing and found a follow-up prescription issued by Dr Pratima Acharya. Following the discovery, they went to the ESIC Hospital and spoke to the doctor.

The investigating team also questioned another woman, Sutapa Biswas, to whose account Samaresh had allegedly transferred Rs 7 lakh that he had borrowed from Sucheta. Also after murdering Sucheta and her daughter Deepanjana on 28 August, Samraesh had kept his scooter at Sutapa’s house.

Samaresh was arrested on 29 August from Seoraphuli in Hooghly, 20 km off Kolkata, after he disposed of corpse-loaded four travel bags that included two trolley bags, in the Hooghly river while travelling by a motor-boat.

Fellow passengers had caught him on the basis of suspicion and then handed over to the police, leading to the revelation of a bone-chilling double murder of a mother-daughter duo. He was remanded to 12 days police custody by the Serampore court on 30 August.

Subsequently, on 10 September the court sent him to 14-days jail custody.