A+ A-

In Photo: Calcutta University College Street campus. – File photo. 

By A Newsman

Kolkata, 10 August: CALCUTTA UNIVERSITY (CU) has postponed the entrance examinations for admissions to science courses at the postgraduate level allegedly following pressure from the Trinamool Chhatra Parishad (TMCP).

The exams were to commence today and continue over the next one week.

Going by CU norms, admissions to 60 per cent of the post graduate seats are to be conducted directly on the basis of marks secured by students at their undergraduate exams. The admissions to the remaining 40 per cent seats are processed through entrance examinations.

This time, around 1,500 students were to appear for the entrance examinations beginning today. According to a notification issued by the university earlier, the examinations were scheduled to be held at its three centres ~ Ballygunge Science College, Rajabazar Science College and Beharilal College.

But TMCP alleged that Ballygunge Science College does not have the required infrastructure to host the exams. They served a memorandum to CU Vice Chancellor Sugato Marjit demanding that the exams that were scheduled to be held at Ballygunge Science College be shifted out to the Rajabazar Science College.

Following this, CU hurriedly decided to postpone the examinations; a notification stating that the examinations had been postponed was issued by the university yesterday. A fresh entrance exam schedule is likely to be notified today.

Academic circle considers it unprecedented to postpone the examinations following demands from a student union and that too announce the change only a day before the exams were scheduled to begin.

Calcutta University Teachers’ Union has criticised the university’s move saying that the authorities can alone decide about the centres where the examinations are to be held and that none else have the authority to interfere in the matter.

Comments