Featured Image: Representational photo.
By A Newsman
Siliguri, 26 August: FOUR houses were gutted in a fire near the India-Bangladesh border at Fulbari off Siliguri on Wednesday afternoon, rendering the families living in them homeless.
The fire broke out around 12.30 on Wednesday afternoon in a private freight godown at Champakgach opposite to the Fulbari boder outpost of the BSF. The village is about 12 km from Siliguri town.
A fire tender belonging to the BSF first swung into action, but with the fire spreading fast, four more fire tenders rushed to the site from the Siliguri Fire Service Station located on SF Road.
The five fire tenders doused the flames in about an hour; by then four houses have been turned into ashes by the flames. Fire officials suspect that an electrical short-circuit might have caused the fire and it spread fast due to the presence of chemicals and other inflammable items stored in the gowdown.
The local civil administration and gram panchayat have extended some relief materials such as dry foods and tarpaulins to the four families who have lost their house in the fire.