A+ A-

Kolkata: STRANGE might it sound! In the age of advance healthcare and scientific advancements, a teenage girl has died of snakebite in Kolkata.

Ishika Mondal, 15, hailing from Narendrapur in the southern suburb of Kolkata, was bitten by a snake on 14 December. She passed away at a private hospital on EM Bypass in the city today.

The girl was to appear for Madhyamik (school leaving exam) due to February-March this year.

Her family has alleged that wrong and delayed treatment has stubbed out the life of the girl despite her being taken to hospital in time.

They said that the private Peerless Hospital on EM Bypass, where she was taken first, said that she was bitten by mongoose and not a snake, and referred her to the government-run MR Bangur Hospital at Tollygunge.

MR Bangur authorities told them that they lacked necessary medicines to conduct a dialysis on her to wash out the venom. This compelled the family to take her to government-run Chittaranjan Seva Sadan at Beniapukur. There, doctors claimed that they were unable to trace her vein to inject medications for the dialysis.

Next, the family took her to private AMRI Hospital on EM Bypass but there was no improvement in her condition. The desperate family then rushed her to private Iris Hospital at Baghajatin off Jadavpur. There they were told that since antivenom was not given to her in time, she had no chances of survival.

Finally, the teenage girl succumbed to the snakebite at the hospital today morning.

Comments