Diamond Harbour: Three fishermen died of electrocution while fishing in a pond at Bishnupur in South 24-Parganas district.
The mishap occurred in the wee hours on Tuesday at Bishnupur’s Mamudpur village. All three fishermen are residents of Mamudpur; one of them has been identified as Deep Modal.
Villagers said that Deep along with two other fishermen got into a pond late last night to fish. A makeshift electric lightning was put in place on banks of the pond for the overnight fishing.
As the trio was engrossed in fishing, the electric wire somehow snapped and fell into the pond. All the three fishermen got electrocuted. They were found unconscious in the pond today at dawn and were taken to Amtala Rural Hospital by the villagers. Doctors declared them brought dead.