Representational Image.
A+ A-

Kolkata: Voting is on for the Panchayat poll in Bengal amidst widespread violence in almost all the districts.

Even before the start of voting at 7 this morning, miscreants, allegedly belonging to Trinamool, resorted to violence in several rural pockets so to keep the voters away from the polling booths.

Several opposition party workers and voters have been injured in the violence reported from Bagda in North 24-Parganas, Bhangar in South 24-Parganas, Uluberia in Howrah, Pandua in Hooghly, Tamluk in East Midnapore, Shantinagar in Nadia, Raghunathganj and Naoda in Murshidabad.

Significantly, in some places, common people are putting up resistance. This has led to the death of two suspected Trinamool miscreants till noon at Tapan in South Dinajpur and Shantipur in Nadia.

Till 9 am, around 12 per cent votes have been cast as against the 3.33-crore voters who are eligible to exercise their franchise today. The voting is being conducted for 66 per cent of the three-tier Panchayat seats in Bengal; Trinamool has won the remaining 34 per cent uncontested.

In several places, police are coming under miscreant attacks while trying to stop rigging and violence targeted at opposition political workers. In some booths at Panskura in East Midnapore Trinamool cadres entered into a polling booth wielding pistol even as armed policemen watched in silence. They have cast false votes by snatching ballot papers from polling officials.

Comments